- Abbreviations and acronyms dictionary
Acronym Finder currently has over 750,000 human-edited definitions for acronyms and abbreviations. The Acronym Finder is also able to locate postal codes.
- AskOxford: Free online dictionary resources from Oxford University Press
Free resources from the world's most respected dictionary publisher.
- Definr - incredibly fast dictionary
Quick and very cool!
- Etymology Dictionary
Douglas Harper's compilation of word origins.
- Glossaries and Dictionaries on all subjects
This is a searchable directory of glossaries and subject directories.
- Merriam- Websters' Dictionary
Contains both the abridged and unabridged dictionary as well as the thesaurus.
- One Look Dictionary Search
Find definitions or translations. Be sure to try the useful wildcard search.
- The Phrase Finder
Meanings and Origins of Phrases, Sayings, and Idioms
- Visual Dictionary Online
The Visual Dictionary is an indispensable visual reference that goes beyond object identification to answer questions about function, significance and purpose.
Graphical Dictionary and Thesaurus
- Rhyming Dictionary and Thesaurus (From Poetry.com)
Results can be organized in a number of ways: by syllables, letters, and with or without phrases.
- Your Dictionary.com
This is really a one-stop site containing dictionaries in many languages, free translation service, thesaurus, glossaries for many subjects, and grammar guides. Interesting sections include Word of the Day which you can have emailed to you, puzzles, and Write your name in 10 languages
Numbers and Statistics
(See 2011 resolution at bottom of page)
In Gale eBooks: Worldmark Encyclopedia of the Nations; 12th edition.
In Online Reference Centre: CultureGrams
- Encyclopedia Of Nations A complete source for detailed information about one hundred ninety three countries in the world, information about the United Nations and the associated agencies, and World Leaders.
- CIA the World Factbook -Provides a comprehensive view of each country in the world through facts and statistics on such topics as population, economy and government. The site also includes maps and flags for each country. Updated yearly.
- Population Reference Bureau PRB analyzes complex demographic data and research for all countries and makes it easily available in order to provide the most objective, accurate, and up-to-date population information in a format that is easily understood.
- Human Development Index
MAP/GEOGRAPHY SPECIFIC SITES
- Perry-Castaneda Library Map Collection Country and Regional map sites: contains various thematic maps links
- About.com Geography
- Altapedia Online-Contains full color physical and political maps as well as key facts and statistics on countries of the world.
- Maps of the World - Map Zone -A clean, simple interface allows you to find maps using the interactive world map, go directly to one of the 7 Regional maps, or use the alphabetic index of countries. Portions of the site are based on the CIA World Fact Book. Features official name, Capital, area, water, land, location, geographic coordinate, comparative info, land boundaries, border countries, coastline, terrain, and elevation extremes in a basic table format.
- Geography - Merriam-Webster's Atlas -Maps and geographical information, select a country or state from the pull-down menus below. Lot's of information, but not updated since 2001.
- Flags of all Countries
Images of flags from countries around the globe are presented.
- Flags of the World (FOTW)
The Internet's largest site devoted to vexillogy (the study of flags).
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
The Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names contains nearly 1 million place names. This searchable database gives for each place name: type of place (examples are: inhabited place, ridge, reservoir, valley, stream), latitude and longitude, variant names, and heirarchical position in the thesaurus.
- The Atlas of Canada
The Atlas of Canada is the place for Canadian maps and information.
- Blank and Outline Maps
Collections of blank and outline maps to print out.
- MapQuest: World Atlas
MapQuest provides you with maps showing locations of places in many countries of the world.
- Maps of War
Extensive use of Flash animation for the study of world history.
- National Geographic - Xpeditions Atlas
This atlas contains over 600 National Geographic maps that can be formatted for standard paper, printed, and reproduced for educational projects.
- Outline Maps
Outline maps of countries, continents, and regions of the world.
- United Nations Cartographic Section:Maps and Geographic Information Resources
Regional and country maps in PDF format.
- World Atlas: Maps and Geography of the World
About.com provides an online world atlas including maps and geographical information .
COUNTRY SPECIFIC SITES
- Encyclopedia of the NationsThe Encyclopedia of the Nations is a complete source for detailed information about one hundred ninety three countries in the world, information about the United Nations and the associated agencies, and World Leaders.
- CIA the World Factbook-Provides a comprehensive view of each country in the world through facts and statistics on such topics as population,
economy and government. The site also includes maps and flags for each country. Updated yearly.
- Country Studies - Federal Research Division -Explores 101 countries and regions. Includes history, geography, culture, maps, timelines, and photographs.
- Countries and Regions -For country background notes - publications include facts about the land, people, history, government, political conditions, economy, and foreign relations. This site is managed by the Bureau of Public Affairs, U.S. Department of State.
TOPICAL COUNTRY SPECIFIC SITES
- World Public Opinion -From the Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) which aims to provide "in-depth information and analysis on public opinion from around the world on international issues." Explore by world region or by topic.
- Atlapedia Online
"Atlapedia Online contains full color physical maps, political maps as well as key facts and statistics on countiries of the world."
- BBC News: Country Profiles
Up to date profiles of all the countries of the world.
- CIA World Factbook 2009
This is the first stop on the Web for information about countries of the world.
- Country Comparison Tool
Select up to four world countries or regions and compare demographic, geographic and economic data at the press of a button.
- Country Reports.org
Profiles of hundreds of countries which include economy, government, background, and statistics. There are separate links for flags, national anthems, reference maps, history of countries, and weather.
This site contains an encyclopedia of nations of the world, contains country profiles, and a graph producer which can produce charts, scatterplots, and pie charts.
- New Countries of the World
Matt Rosenberg's geography guide from About.com.
- United Nations CyberSchoolBus
Includes data on each of the countries of the world, profiles of 20 of the world's largest cities, and information about the United Nations.
- The World Bank Data Catalog
Data and statistics from countries of the world. An excellent database for country comparisons for many economic indicators.
- Worldwide Governments on the WWW
A database of governmental institutions from countries of the world.
- Fund For Peace-Failed State Index Social, economic and political indicators on 177 countries
- Amnesty International
The Amnesty International website presents information about Amnesty International, its campaigns and activitities, its policy positions, its history, and its organization. Included are annual reports of human rights abuses in the countries of the world as well as news releases and special reports. You may search for publications by country, by region, or by keyword.
- Human Rights Watch
The Human Rights Watch web site offers:recent annual Human Rights Watch World Reports, with country-by-country reports on human rights conditions, press releases and reports on human rights issues and violations. Sections focus on arms control, children's rights, women's rights, refugees, prisons, academic freedom, corporations and human rights, drugs and human rights, prison conditions, free expression, and more.
- Ploughshares - World Armed Conflicts Report
Project Ploughshares provides expertise and analysis to the Canadian Council of Churches on peace and security issues. They will provide information and analysis based on factual, carefully researched information.
- International Nongovernmental Organizations Directory
A subject directory of the world's NGOs.
- NGO custom Search Engine
This NGO search engine was developed by David Oldenkamp at Indiana University and James Jacobs atStanford.
- International Relations and Security Network (ISN)
This site provides in-depth analysis of world events.
- Political Resources on the Net
Political Resources on the Net lists Internet sites covering politics. Connections are to sites of political parties and federations as well as to sites about elections and politics. Choose to view international sites, sites sorted by continent, or sites sorted by country.
UNITED NATIONS FORUM - Resolution - May 27, 2011
"To save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights and to promote social progress."
"BE IT RESOLVED THAT ALL MEMBERS OF THE UNITED NATIONS NOT BE ALLOWED TO UNILATERALLY INTERVENE IN THE SOVEREIGN AFFAIRS OF ANY MEMBER NATION STATE, OTHERWISE THEY WILL FACE EXPULSION FROM ALL ORGANS OF THE UNITED NATIONS."
DECLARATION REGARDING NON-SELF-GOVERNING TERRITORIES
Members of the United Nations which have or assume responsibilities for the administration of territories whose peoples have not yet attained a full measure of self–government recognize the principle that the interests of the inhabitants of these territories are paramount, and accept as a sacred trust the obligation to promote to the utmost, within the system of international peace and security established by the present Charter, the well–being of the inhabitants of these territories, and, to this end:
a. to ensure, with due respect for the culture of the peoples concerned, their political, economic, social, and educational advancement, their just treatment, and their protection against abuses;
b. to develop self–government, to take due account of the political aspirations of the peoples, and to assist them in the progressive development of their free political institutions, according to the particular circumstances of each territory and its peoples and their varying stages of advancement;
c. to further international peace and security;
d. to promote constructive measures of development, to encourage research, and to co–operate with one another and, when and where appropriate, with specialized international bodies with a view to the practical achievement of the social, economic, and scientific purposes set forth in this Article.
Members of the United Nations also agree that their policy in respect of the territories to which ths Chapter applies, no less than in respect of their metropolitan areas, must be based on the general principle of good–neighborliness, due account being taken of the interests and well–being of the rest of the world, in social, economic, and commercial matters.